Monday, November 27, 2017

Ashley's Virtual Bookshelf




The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Suess


The cat in the hat was my favorite book as a young child. My parents read me this book over and over again as a child in order to help me learn how to read. I remember how proud my parents were when I could read some of the words on my own. The memories of reading this book help me to understand why we read literature. Reading this book helped me to build a bond with my parents as a young child, and literature can help people build connections with others. The Cat in the Hat was part of the reason that I loved to read and learn so much as a kid.

The Magic Treehouse Series by Marie Pope Osborne

I loved to read the Magic Treehouse series all the time when I was a young because I was part of a neighborhood book club that read and discussed a few of The Magic Treehouse books. I believe that Marie Pope Osborne wrote these books so that kids had a chance to escape and feel like they are in a different world when reading. The adventures were always exciting and intriguing. Reading this series also helped me to feel connected to other kids in my neighborhood. I was always excited to discuss the book with my friends at every book club meeting. 

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare


The Merchant of Venice is the play that helped me to understand how to read Shakespeare. I enjoyed the plot when I first read it in high school, and because I read this play multiple times, I became accustomed to Shakespearean language. The play also talks about important themes like mercy, which is a concept that I value and try to practice in my own life. Portia's speech was something that stuck with me after reading the play. I also appreciate Portia's strong female role when she pretended to be a man and convinced Shylock to spare Antonio's life. I think this play was written by Shakespeare to express his values. The Merchant of Venice is my favorite Shakespearean play.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan


I started reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series because a girl in my neighborhood recommended the first book in the series to me in fifth grade. I ended up becoming really close friends with the girl because every morning before school we would meet to talk about the book, and we even saw the movie together. Even when my friend moved in seventh grade, we continued to stay in touch. This series helped to establish one of my closest friendships. This was my favorite series throughout a lot of middle school, and it helped keep me interested in reading as I grew older. 

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carleton


The Very Hungry Caterpillar was another book I read many times with my mom as a young kid. I was fascinated by the pictures in this book, and our house became filled with books by Eric Carleton. I think Eric Carleton wrote these picture books in order to creatively display his interesting artwork. I remember being so excited to read when my mom brought home a new Eric Carleton book. I think reading with parents as a child is a great way to form a bond between parent and child. This was another book that caused me to love reading as a kid.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog and reading about the significance these books had for you! The personal connections that can be made through mutual interests, like books, is amazing. I also think you did a great job tying in the course themes of why authors write literature and why we read literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved hearing your recommendation on Percy Jackson. I started that series a long time ago but didn't finish it. After reading what you had to say I feel more motivated to complete the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your take on books that I grew up with as well. Percy Jackson was definitely one of my favorite series as a kid, and I love talking about and remembering the series. I loved hearing your personal experiences with the childrens book that also shaped my own childhood. Your post was very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your focus on literature as a way to form connections between people. That is a great reason to read, and it reminds me of the many times I read something because my friends or family loved them.

    ReplyDelete