Sunday, November 26, 2017

Kassylla's Virtual Bookshelf


BOOKS THAT SHAPED ME


1. The Kite Runner


The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is the book that taught me that a witness who doesn't speak up is just as guilty as the perpetrator. After reading this book, I learned to always stand up for others and for myself. When there was a bully at school, I intervened. I've called out friends, family members, and even strangers for racist, sexist, or homophobic remarks, and will continue to do so. Usually, the main characters in novels are great heroes who always do the right thing. What I liked about this book was how Hosseini portrayed the main character Amir as a coward which is a common human flaw. Amir knew he was responsible for the terrible events that happened to his friend because he did not intervene, and thus felt guilty for a long time. Books have the power to shape a person's character and morals. Because of this book, I learned to have courage and not be afraid of the consequences of speaking up when I hear or see an injustice.

“It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime...”

2. Pride and Prejudice



Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is my favorite romance novel for several reasons. Elizabeth Bennett refused to give in to societal pressures throughout the entire novel by refusing to settle for anything less than what she wanted. Since I first read this book in high school, I refused to live my life for anyone other than myself. Another reason I love this novel is because, as the title suggests, Elizabeth and her love interest Mr. Darcy, got in the way of their happiness and the happiness of others because of preconceived notions about each other and others. However, when both characters realized this flaw in themselves, they were able to reconcile and finally be together. This book shaped how I am able to recognize my mistakes and fix them.

“There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me.”

3. Percy Jackson & the Olympians

 

Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan was how my love for reading began. The Lightning Thief was a Christmas gift from my teacher in elementary school. She noticed my interest in mythology when covering the subject in class. Since then, I've read most of Riordan's books. The series touches on human flaws and behavior that fascinated me from the start. I was especially interested in the idea of fatal flaw. Most of the characters have a fatal flaw such as loyalty, hubris, and curiosity, that causes conflict and chaos. Most fatal flaws are actually positive character traits that are taken to the extreme. By understanding the idea of fatal flaw, I was able to take a step back and analyze my traits and behavior and work on them in order to a better person. This series will always have a special place in my heart because it opened the door to so many other worlds and stories that affected my life. 

"To save a friend you would sacrifice the world"

4. Keeping You a Secret

 

Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters is a book about a senior in high school who discovers that she is gay. The book tackles the reality of coming out and the important issues concerning LGBT+ youths. I read this book as a junior in high school and was facing many of the same issues as the main character, Holland. On top of her struggle with juggling college applications, a job, and a complicated home life, Holland deals with societal pressures when realizing she feelings for another girl. The book shows the realities of LGBT+ teens bullied and kicked out of their home, a real fear I had at the time because of my family background. This book was written in 2003, when coming out was way different than what it is today. Because of this book, I was able to gather the courage to come out, because despite the opposition, being yourself is the most important thing in order to find happiness. 

"Everything I knew, everything I was, the walls I'd built up to protect myself all these years would come crashing down."

5. I felt a Funeral, in my Brain


"I felt a Funeral, in my Brain" by Emily Dickinson really resonated with me when I read and analyzed it for this course. As someone who has experience with mental illness, I was able to relate to the poem in a way I never felt with other poems. The way Dickinson uses repetition and sound imagery left a powerful affect on me. The poem makes me feel vulnerable because it shows that I am not alone, and many can relate to the message. The poem is so timeless as it is just as relevant today as it was when Dickinson was writing this. Mental illness is a difficult concept to put into words and Dickinson did an beautiful job. Because of this poem, I have a sudden interest in poetry as a whole and have started to understand the deeper meaning that they convey.

"And then a Plank in Reason, broke, / And I dropped down, and down -"

2 comments:

  1. Kite Runner was one of my favorite books in middle school cause I had a friend named Hassan, but also because I was a good book that can get you easily emotionally attached. Also, The Lightning Thief was fantastic as a kid, and I like how you talked about the fatal flaws of the characters in the book and how it relates to self-reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this post came out aesthetically with the balance between moving gifs and still images. I also appreciate how eclectic this list is, which shows that you have varied motivations and interests in reading.

    ReplyDelete