Sunday, November 26, 2017

Patrick's Virtual Bookshelf




Books That Built Patrick



These five texts have contributed to a great many attributes of my character as an American, but more specifically, as a future military member. As such, they appeal to my sense of justice and ethics, as well as fairness, perseverance and honor. These books represent these ideals not only through the stories they tell, but through the messages and themes they evoke.

1. Honor: Eragon


The first book that contributes to my character happens to be one of the first books I placed moral value on. My elementary school had required students to read and take tests on books. Rather than have to read several smaller books, I opted for Eragon, by Christopher Paolini. Initially, I had chosen this book for it's size, and this fact alone satisfied my reading quota. I soon realized the virtue in this novel. Eragon tells the story of a young farm boy who finds a dragon egg and raises a dragon to fight evil. I was familiar with the fantasy elements present in the novel; however, I absolutely loved how the character spent most of his time on how to best serve the interests of the kind-hearted people in his town, evoking a messiah-like aura. This book showed me that an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances can make all the difference in the world. 

2. Perseverance: Escape From Camp 14


This nonfiction piece tells the story of a North Korean defector, Shin Dong-Hyuk, who escaped a brutal internment camp. His tale of brutal survival and harrowing escape in 2005 showed me how lucky I was to have been born in a free environment. While others suffer a world away, I can live a life of relative comfort. This biography detailed the lengths at which Shin had to endure to ensure his continued survival at the hands of the brutal cult of personalty surrounding North Korean leadership. Whenever I feel like giving up, I think of individuals like Shin, who was born into a world of suffering, but managed to survive the worst life had to throw at him.

3. Fairness: The Running Man


The third book in the collection is my personal favorite, and it tells the story of a man who struggles against a world that wants his death for entertainment. The protagonist is put at odds with a society that does not place any trust in its citizens, rather, it abuses its people. I adore this book because it plays with the concept of fairness, and ultimately, its impossibility. Ben Richards, an blacklisted family man, chooses to compete in a rigged competition in order to support his impoverished family. Richards is given no support during his odyssey as an enemy of the state, and fairness is thrown out the window. An important lesson from this text that I took was that life isn't fair, but you should never let this fact dissuade you from your goals and aspirations. Furthermore, if you're in a situation that appears unsolvable, sometimes you have to think outside the box and outsmart the system.

4. Justice: Watchmen


The fourth book in my bookshelf was my first dive into graphic novels and their interpretation as serious literature. Though I was taken aback by the unique art style, I was more entranced by the nihilism expressed by the many retired heroes in the story. Only one character,(Rorschach), maintained a constant sense of justice and commitment to stopping crime. Rorschach certainly didn't perfectly personify justice, but he made the distinction between vengeance and justice. It's this important line in the sand that is the most meaningful to me. I will never take justice into my own hands, and I will always try my best to trust the system and its process. I learned from Watchmen that the most just choice is not always the choice I agree with, and I try to communicate this sense of acceptance in reading discussions. 

5. Ethics: Persepolis


My fifth and final addition to my personal bookshelf is my selection from this class's reading. The lessons I took from Persepolis were mainly ones involving ethics. As a person who hopes to join the military, I am expected to be capable of making ethical decisions. Where I think Persepolis shines in teaching about ethics is the evolution of Marjane's character and independence. As a child in America, I was exposed to several media outlets, so I was able to formulate my own opinions on right and wrong. In Marjane's society; however, the media is essentially controlled by whoever is in power. Furthermore, Marjane's status as a woman affected how she was 'expected' to act. From this book, I learned how people in a controlled environment work through ethical problems. Marjane beliefs on societal wrongs were heavily influenced by whoever was in power, and she her thought process was very linear. I'm glad I live in a world where my opinions are my own and not the products of a political regime.













3 comments:

  1. I love how all of the books that shaped you tie together with what you want to be in the future. Your desire to one day be a soldier in the military shows your dedication to fighting for our country and protecting our freedoms, which we are granted before we are even born. You made a great connection between the influential texts and how they resemble your characteristics as an American citizen. The themes you presented definitely fit the characteristics necessary to have in order to serve America as a soldier. I enjoyed reading through your virtual bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy how you titled every subheading with a trait worthy of any great character; honor, perseverance, fairness, justice, ethics. It was a refreshing touch. My friends read Eragon in elementary school but I did not, however, after reading your entry describing your fascination with the character's honorable traits and hero-like journey, I believe its time to give it a shot. As with the comment above mine, I find it awesome that each of these books gave you the courage and dedication to fight for our country. Your purpose for reading these books were for the most part for leisure or for school, but you found traits to follow and life lessons to learn within each story and I find that amazing. This speaks volume to the question why we read. The answer in your case is to find ourselves within different characters and become greater people because of it. I enjoy your selection and will give Escape from Camp 14 and Eragon a read sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great picks, and I appreciate the lessons you gained from each text. Watchmen is one that I want to pick up as well. I've seen the film and know a little about the original text, and I find the concept of disillusioned and nihilistic former heroes really compelling.

    ReplyDelete