Monday, November 27, 2017

Brooke's Bookshelf





The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower remains one of my most frequently quoted novels. Advising my life and my friends’, The Perks of Being a Wallflower features as one of the most relatable and relevant books I have ever encountered. For Literary Society, I created a presentation based on this book and the universal understanding of some of the conflicts the characters endure continues to serve as  one of the pivotal characteristics instilled by Stephen Chbosky. Last year, I reminded my friend almost daily that “We accept the love we think we deserve” and “can we make them know that they deserve more?” “We can try” (Chbosky). Throughout life, people seem to forget their own importance, but people deserve to seek happiness - even those who do not believe they earned it. “You can’t just sit there and put everybody’s lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love,” since I always put others before myself, and this statement serves as only one example of the quotes from this novel that I frequently try to remember in my daily life (Chbosky). Above my bed, on my wall, I have a collection of quotes, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower often serves as a positive reassurance in my life.

  • In regards to why we read, The Perks of Being a Wallflower applies extremely personally to my life, but universally has this individual effect on so many people. Langston Hughes’ poem, “I,Too” similarly speaks of individual experiences that represent a larger community. The power writing has to articulate thoughts an individual may have never managed to clearly identify and describe, and the ability to highlight how others can relate to the experiences we have, makes books like The Perks of Being a Wallflower especially poignant.

The Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling

  • Harry Potter may not classify as magical realism, the genre of books such as Beloved, but the realistic problems addressed in a magical community contributes to the series’ ability to shape children’s development. Focusing on a boy wizard, the series manages to cleverly introduce the problems of racism and classism, thereby shaping the way young children reading the novels view the world. As a child, these books tended to dictate what qualities should hold the most importance. When people viewed an avid reader and studious student as a model, it became increasingly important to remember that “There are more important things- friendship and bravery” (Rowling). With bushy hair and a love for reading, I related to Hermione Granger, who showed that choosing to spend time in the library or studying could prove more helpful than harmful. I never needed a large group of friends as long as I knew I had at least one person I could trust to always support me and care for me. Often finding reasons why people do not deserve my trust with great ease, I finally found people that continuously prove how much they care about me. Accustomed to individuals using me for homework help or questions related to school, Hermione’s ability to find such secure friendships gave me hope. Also, my favorite quote, “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light,” continues to hang on my wall and serve as a powerful reminder that, in spite of how hopeless a situation can seem, I have the power to create a better environment or experience.

  • The Harry Potter series confirmed my love for reading. With the ability to escape to Hogwarts and a world of magic concocted by J.K Rowling, I discovered one of the primary opportunities books can offer. Without the Harry Potter series, I think my life and personality may have developed differently. J.K Rowling may have crafted the series due to financial concerns for her family, but her works still resemble art- speaking to people across the world to change their views and opinions while offering entertainment. The way Rowling mingles enjoyment with the discussion of serious issues embodies a major reason people read.The reasons people write and read remain incredibly diverse, but the combinations of motivations allow for a wide impact and varied perspectives on specific subjects that, when evaluated, can contribute to strong, inclusive, arguments.


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
  • The honesty in this book experiences few rivals. Thirteen Reasons Why exposed, to me, the impact that words and actions can have, and while one person may think nothing of a situation- it could change someone else’s life. Even with the realization that anything could significantly impact other people, the exposure Jay Asher offers allows readers to truly recognize that words and actions could mean more than expected. This book altered how I viewed the world, and made me more aware of the minutiae that can impact people. Throughout my life, I have had an array of encounters with struggling individuals, and I have found it increasingly important to always try to understand other people as thoroughly as possible and consider all of the possible circumstances or outcomes they may face so that I can try to effectively assist them in handling the difficulties they endure.

  • Thirteen Reasons Why seeks to reveal the harm people can cause, in the hope of making society more aware of the problems it perpetuates. Through utilizing literature to raise awareness, hopefully society can progress and minimize the negativity surrounding people on a daily basis. Through highlighting the detrimental and destructive actions that some people feel forced to succumb to, maybe others will learn to remain more cognizant of their interactions and treatment of people. Jay Asher vividly portrays subject matter that other authors or creators may tend to shy away from. With a bold approach to a serious topic, Jay Asher writes to try to instigate change and prompt positive growth.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

  • John Green powerfully depicts teenagers struggling with life-changing and life-threatening illness in The Fault in Our Stars, and his portrayal of relatable characters that exist as people separate from their disease, emphasizes the importance of recognizing people for their complexity and refraining from judging people based on one detail. Hazel struggles with the pity and judgement passed upon her by the prominence of her oxygen tank, but the novel reveals the similarities “sick” individuals have to those considered of “normal” health. My grandfather died of lung cancer, and one of my friends from high school just finished treatment for osteosarcoma (the cancer that plagues Augustus in the novel), and The Fault in Our Stars reminds me of the power people retain to enjoy life in spite of the afflictions they face. Love and life can exist even in the face of death, and The Fault in Our Stars serves as a powerful testament for the capabilities of individuals to maintain control of some aspects of their lives even when certain components seem uncontrollable. The power of choice, deciding how to approach a situation, can make all of the difference in a person’s life. This idea has since come to govern my views in the world, and I have tried to become less afraid to take chances and try to have more diverse experiences.

  • The theme of life and death in The Fault in Our Stars serves as reminiscent of the theme of life and death in “The Dead” by James Joyce. Augustus lives to seize every moment, recognizing that he may not have the opportunity to waste any time due to the threat that cancer poses to his life, while Hazel has a preoccupation with not seeming like a grenade to the people around her, so she tries to minimize the effect she has on others in hopes of having her death not cause as much pain. In Joyce’s “The Dead”, the lifeless house party critiques the living that do not seek to truly experience life.  The focus on the haunting nature of death in both stories attests to the prevalence of the theme, thereby suggesting the ability people from different backgrounds have to relate to the ideas.



Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi


  • Typically, I do not find myself seeking out memoirs nor trying to find graphic novels, but Persepolis introduced me to a new reading experience that I enjoyed. Satrapi’s memoir allowed for the examination of the experiences that shaped her development, while offering a unique perspective on Iranian politics and culture. Reading Persepolis enabled me to gain a better understanding of the people and history of Iran, which contributes to building my ability to consider policies and ideologies that impact that region with a more broad comprehension of the subjects and situations. Previously, I had a limited exposure to information regarding Iran, so the evaluation of the nation through the honesty of Marji offered me a seemingly authentic view of the state of affairs regarding Iran. Due to the introduction of this book through class, I have a new outlook on life in America compared to life in other nations. The strength and poise with which Satrapi explores her nation contributes to the image people in various may develop, but the desire to learn the truth reveals the impact art can have in portraying information.

  • The opportunities for development, understanding, and growth presented by novels such as Persepolis contribute to the possibilities that readers have to foster comprehensive, diverse groups and conversations. This ability to become a more cultured, understanding person leads me to find the appeal of reading more historically- focused novels.


Reading changes lives- it shaped and changed mine. 

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post, and found your connections between your favorite books and works we read in this class very interesting. Your comparison of The Perks of Being a Wallflower to "I, Too" was well explained, and made me view the poem in a different more relatable light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have personally read and enjoyed each book that you chose to post about. I definitely agree that the Perks of Being a Wallflower is relatable especially because the author actually graduated from my high school, and the movie was actually filmed in the community I grew up and went to high school in. I also agree that Harry Potter shaped young people by introducing race and class issues in a creative way. I also enjoyed Persepolis because the comic made such a serious topic more enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog and I thought that connections you made between these books and our class readings were well thought out. I like how you explained the personal connections you felt towards the characters, such as Hermione from Harry Potter. Overall, I thought this was a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both The Fault in Our Stars and 13 Reasons Why are books I stubbornly avoided because I don't like to read books when everyone else is telling me to, but I did watch the Netflix adaptation of 13 Reasons Why and had major issues with it. I hear the book is better, though. I agree with your assessment of the influence of the Harry Potter series on so many young readers. I honestly don't think it is hyperbolic to say that millennials, as an entire generation, were shaped by Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete