Sunday, November 26, 2017

Parker's Virtual Bookshelf

1) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee: This book by Harper Lee inspired me to become a lawyer and to fight for those who can't fight themselves. In the book when Tom, a black man, is accused of rape by a white woman, his guilt is assumed immediately. He knows he will not get adequate legal representation until a prominent lawyer named Atticus Finch takes his case and defends him. This book also inspired me to fight for the right cause even when you know the odds of victory are slim at best. Atticus proved Tom's innocence yet Tom was still convicted of the crime, all the while Atticus knew this was the likely outcome. This book speaks to the theme as to why author's write literature. In this book, I was not only inspired to become a lawyer, but I was also taught to fight for those who can't even when the odds are heavily stacked against you.

2) The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling: This entire series inspired me to believe in the impossible and to not let your life circumstances hold you back in life. While clearly fictional, Rowling creates a masterpiece in the character of Harry Potter. Harry loses his parents as a baby, overcomes challenges every year at Hogwarts, and is tormented by Voldemort his entire life (until he is finally defeated). He never made any excuse and always found a way to persevere. Reading Harry Potter allowed my imagination as a young child to flourish, it almost made me believe in magic. While magic is not real, the magic created in your mind when reading Harry Potter was and still is very real to me. This series answers the theme of why we read literature. We read literature for pleasure, but also to come way with the real magic in life: the lessons learned.

3) The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare: William Shakespeare taught me the power of language. His masterful use of the English language showed my the true power of words: they have the power to build up say in the case of Portia and the power to tear down and become sinister in the case of Shylock. Shylock's rant was particularly impactful on me because it taught me that in reality all humans are the same underneath our physical appearances. Maybe if we all focused on our similarities (of which there are way more) than our differences then maybe the world would be a better place in the long run. A place of acceptance and love rather than division and hate. This play answers the theme of why literature is taught. In this instance it is to showcase the mastery of Shakespeare's language and how it is used to better the lessons he wants to impart on the reader.

4) Founding Brothers by Joseph J Ellis: This book inspired my patriotism for this country. The founding fathers did not accept the treatment of the British and created their own country which ended up becoming the greatest country this world has ever seen. I aspire to be as powerful and influential as they were one day. Maybe not to the extent of changing the entire world, but I intend to be a maverick in my own right. They stood up for what they believed and did not dare settle for anything less than the best. I try to live that way each day. This book can be related to the theme of why literature is read and in this case it's for the history of our nation and to introduce the Founding Fathers in a different light.

5) Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: Frankenstein taught me to not just assume judgements of people and that the real monster could be very different from what you perceive it to be. It caused me to view conflict in a very different way and look at everyone equally until guilt is actually proved. The real monster of the story is not the monster, rather it is Dr. Frankenstein himself for trying to push the natural limits of science while creating life. It also taught me that there are natural boundaries that should not be crossed such as the limits of science and messing with life itself. This book can relate to the theme of why we read literature, it shows us the monster isn't always who we expect it to be.
















3 comments:

  1. I also like the novel "To Kill a Mockingbird" as I similarly find it inspiring and like the message sent so I admire the fact that it also had this effect on you. I just generally like your ability to obtain inspiration from various novels that you have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the effect that To Kill a Mockingbird had, it speaks to how powerful of a novel it is that it can move someone to realize what they want to do in life as it points out the injustices that exist in our society, and its admirable to want to work as a lawyer to prevent just that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the influence To Kill a Mockingbird has over you as a future lawyer, and I absolutely agree with your assessment of the magic of the Harry Potter series. I already told my husband about Founding Brothers, and he's checked it out from the library.

    ReplyDelete